Questions for Discussion
1. If you were Cora, would you go along with Mrs. Cash's plan to marry into a title? Why or why not?
2. Should Cora and Teddy have wound up together?
3. Mrs. Cash has all the money she could want. Why is she not satisfied? Can she do anything to achieve the level of social acceptance she so desperately craves?
4. Does Mr. Cash have the same social aspirations as his wife?
5. Do you think Cora's initial meeting with Ivo was completely coincidental?
6. What is your opinion of Mrs. Wyndham? Does she care about other people and how they relate to English society, or is she only out to benefit herself?
7. Is Ivo ultimately completely honest with Cora about the state of his relationship with Charlotte?
8. Did the descriptions of the various English manor houses take away the ideal that being a duchess is romantic? In what other ways did Goodwin's descriptions of aristocratic life deviate from typical descriptions?
9. Why are there so many unspoken rules for both English and American high society in the novel.
10. At the end, Charlotte tells Teddy that he needs to "wait" in reference to Cora and Ivo's reconciliation. What are they both waiting for?
Look for The American Heiress, in-Club now.
An Interview with the Author | Questions for Discussion