At BJ’s, we believe educational opportunity is essential to the long-term vitality of our communities. Many classrooms, however, face funding shortages. That’s why we provide educators with support they can use to enhance existing programs and curriculum objectives through BJ’s Adopt-A-School Program.
Every year, each of our Clubs “adopts” a public elementary school from their local community. Since 1996, BJ’s Adopt-A-School Program has provided more than $1.9 million in funding to thousands of schools.
Join Us in Celebrating BJ’s Adopt-A-School’s 20th Anniversary
This Upcoming School Year!
We believe educational opportunity is essential to the long-term vitality of our communities. That’s why we’re inviting educators to apply for one of five (5) $10,000 grants created in honor of BJ’s Adopt-A-School’s 20th Anniversary. We want these special grants to be used not only to make schools better but to make students’ futures brighter.
- With that in mind, we’re asking you to start by asking your students where they want to be in 20 years.
- Then, collaborate with your students on a creative grant submission in which they help you explain to us how support from our grant and BJ’s Team Member volunteers can help them achieve their goals.
- Examples of possible submissions include artwork, videos, essays, poetry, photography, songs or other creative vehicles made by your students.
Guidelines for Submitting an Application
BJ’s Wholesale Club welcomes applications from all public elementary schools located in the communities we serve. Schools that have participated in BJ’s Adopt-A-School Program in the past are eligible and we encourage them to apply.
All schools applying for grants must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a public elementary school.
- The applying school must be located within 15 miles of a BJ’s Club location.
To be considered for a BJ’s Adopt-A-School 20th Anniversary grant, all required materials must be received by the deadline indicated below.
Please Note: To expedite processing, all schools are limited to one (1) application. The first application will be reviewed and additional applications will not be considered.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria: creativity; student involvement; demonstrated impact of grant; demonstrated need; Team Member volunteer opportunities for their local BJ’s Club.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2015.
Restrictions and Limitations
BJ’s Wholesale Club does not provide funding for:
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical disability or national or ethnic origin.
- Political organizations, fraternal groups or social clubs that engage in any kind of political activity.
- Religious organizations, unless they serve the general public in a significant non-denominational way.
- Programs that support only one (1) individual or individual families.
- Organizations located outside BJ’s Wholesale Club markets.
- Schools that are not public elementary schools.
The first step in applying for funding is registering your school in our database. In this section, you will be asked to provide general information about your school, and then given access to a short questionnaire that will determine your eligibility.
If your answers meet our application requirements, you will be permitted to move forward and to access our application for funding.
To begin the application process, please click on the apply now button.
Grant recipients will be notified by mid-August, via the email address and phone number provided with their application.
Many classrooms across the country face shortages in funding.
That’s why helping students get a proper education is one of our main priorities at BJ’s. Through various efforts, including BJ’s Adopt-A-School Program and our recent Foundation grant to DonorsChoose.org, we’re providing schools with support to enhance programs and curriculum objectives.
Two of the ways we support education in our local communities is through our partnership with DonorsChoose.org and our Adopt-A-School Program. Learn more about both programs below!
DonorsChoose.org makes it easy for anyone to help classrooms in need.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS: Public school teachers from across America post project requests at DonorsChoose.org for materials they need like books, art supplies, software, the list is long!
Donors are people just like you and companies like us — people interested in supporting education, who search the site and give to the project that inspires them most.
If you’re interested in making a donation or if you’re a teacher who would like to post a project, please visit DonorsChoose.org.
Supporting Educational Excellence in Our Communities
BJ’s Adopt-A-School Program started in 1996 with a single school. Over the years, it has expanded to help schools in 15 states. The program’s mission: giving “adopted” schools support they can use to enhance existing programs and curriculum objectives. It is just another way we care about our Members and the communities that they live in.
Now in its 19th year, BJ’s Adopt-A-School program has provided more than $1.8 million in funding to thousands of schools, helping ensure children receive a quality education.
Schools participating in BJ’s Adopt-A-School Giving Program receive:
- A one-time donation to use toward discretionary programs, such as field trips and special events, reading enhancement programs or other educational needs
- A complimentary BJ’s Business Membership, providing access to low-cost, high-quality supplies
In 2014, BJ’s adopted 215 public elementary schools. To see the full list of
2014 – 2015 Adopt-A-School partner schools, click here.
To learn more about BJ’s Adopt-A-School Program, contact us at email@example.com. If you're interested in participating in next year’s programs, please fill out an application and tell us about your school.