About BJ’s Charitable Foundation®
Established with the goal of creating a positive, long-lasting impact on the communities BJ’s serves, the mission of BJ’s Charitable Foundation is to enhance and enrich community programs that primarily benefit children and families. Since its inception in 2005, BJ’s Charitable Foundation has given nearly $19 million through grants, annual programs and special initiatives, to over 2,100 community organizations in the 15 states where BJ’s Clubs are located.
BJ’s Charitable Foundation contributes the bulk of its funding to organizations that provide services (in the form of hunger prevention, self-sufficiency, healthcare and education) to people in need.
TYPES OF SUPPORT
Support will be given to nonprofits that work to alleviate hunger through the purchase of food, supplies and additional resources necessary to feed those in need. Funding will be disbursed to agencies, including food banks, soup kitchens, and food pantries. We will support the purchase of food as well as food programs.
Over the last decade, the country has seen a rise in the number of reported homeless families. And studies have shown that these families are more likely to become self-sufficient by first having a safe place to sleep and then access to other support services. Support will be given to nonprofits that work toward the self-sufficiency of their clients. Grants will fund enhancement of shelter programs, purchase of supplies and clothing for residents, as well as programming that offers families safety.
Support will be given to nonprofits that work on providing healthcare to those who would not normally have access. Funding will be disbursed to agencies providing supplies to free medical clinics, health prevention services, as well as supplies for vision, dental and hearing screenings.
Support will be given to nonprofits that provide academic and vocational opportunities for the disadvantaged. These programs include the purchase of supplies for literacy skills, mentoring, tutoring and career development.
BJ’s Charitable Foundation Grant Recipients
We've been lucky to work with thousands of organizations. A listing of those organizations by year can be found if you click on the links below.
Guidelines for Submitting a Proposal
BJ’s Charitable Foundation welcomes funding proposals that are compatible with the above types of support. If you are interested in submitting a grant proposal, please closely follow the guidelines below:
All funding requests must meet the following criteria:
- The proposal must be from an organization that is tax-exempt under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and recognized as a “public charity” by the IRS.
- The program must align with BJ’s Charitable Foundation’s mission of supporting organizations that provide basic needs services (in the form of hunger prevention, self-sufficiency, healthcare and education) to those in need in the ways we’ve defined above.
- The program must positively impact communities where BJ’s Clubs are located.
2. Application Procedure
To be considered at the next scheduled Foundation meeting, all required materials must be received by the deadline indicated below. Grant proposals received after this submission deadline will be put on the agenda for the following meeting.
Please Note: To expedite processing, all organizations are limited to one (1) application, regardless of its being approved or denied, per 12-month period. Additional applications will not be considered.
|Quarter||Grant Application Deadlines||Response Dates|
|Q1||January 10, 2014||April 2014|
|Q2||April 11, 2014||July 2014|
|Q3||July 11, 2014||October 2014||Q4||October 10, 2014||January 2015||Q1||January 9, 2015||April 2015||Q2||April 10, 2015||July 2015|
3. Restrictions and Limitations
BJ’s Charitable Foundation does not provide funding for:
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical disability, or national or ethnic origin
- Political organizations, fraternal groups or social clubs that engage in any kind of political activity
- Religious organizations, unless they serve the general public in a significant non-denominational way
- 501(c)(3) organizations or programs/projects that have been in place for less than one (1) year
- Programs that only support one individual or individual families
- Organizations located outside BJ’s Wholesale Club markets
- Capital campaigns
- Private foundations
- Sponsorships for music, film and art festivals
- Support for business expositions/conferences
- Organizations that have applied to the BJ’s Charitable Foundation within the past 12 months
- 509(a)(3) Type III non-functionally integrated supporting organizations
- First-time applicants applying for more than $2,500 in funding
- Organizations that do not have an annual budget, IRS Form 990 and audited financials
- Non-programmatic Salary Request
How to Apply
The first step in applying for funding is registering your organization. In this section, you will be asked to provide general information about your organization.
Then you will be given access to a short questionnaire, where you will be prompted to answer questions such as:
- Is your organization tax exempt under section 501(c)(3)?
- Does your organization have an annual budget?
- Does your organization have audited financials?
- Does your organization file an IRS Form 990?
If your answers meet our grant requirements, you will be permitted to move forward and to access our application for funding.
To begin the application process, please click on the apply now button.
BJ’s Charitable Foundation no longer accepts grant applications submitted via mail.
Recent Community News Stories
Check out our latest community news stories from BJ’s Journal.
BJ’s Charitable Foundation reserves the right to change relevant dates and other descriptive material without notice.
BJ’s Charitable Foundation is a donor-advised fund at a national public charity. All contributions to BJ’s Charitable Foundation go directly to the public charity that sponsors the donor-advised fund and all grants from the donor-advised fund are made at the recommendation of BJ’s Charitable Foundation, and its delegates and at the discretion of the sponsoring charity.